KOREA PANEL SESSIONS
AAS Seattle, 2016: Inter-area/Border Crossing category which include some discussion of Korea, arranged in chronological order
Inter-area Panels that include Korea:
The 2016 meeting of the Committee on Korean Studies will be at 10 pm on Friday, April 1, in the Diamond room in the Sheraton. The meeting will begin by taking a few minutes to honor the memory of Nancy Ablemann and discuss her contributions to the study of Korea. Professor Ablemann passed away in Jan, 2016.
Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference, Philadelphia
March 29, 2014
Chair: Kelly Jeong
Introduction of the Steering Committee
- Outgoing members: Kelly Jeong (chair), Sem Vermeesch
- Continuing members: George Kallender (chair-elect), Youngju Ryu (secretary), Koen de Ceuster
- New members: Don Baker, Wayne Patterson
During the General Meeting of CKS at the Philly AAS, an MOU was signed with Sungkyunkwan University to develop an inter-university center for Korean language studies. The center would assist graduate students and scholars of KS based outside Korea to develop the necessary language skills to engage with their Korean colleagues.
As usual, we will have the CKS General Meeting during the upcoming AAS meeting in Philadelphia. It is scheduled for Saturday, March 29 at 8: 30 PM. The venue is room 414/415 at the conference hotel, the Downton Marriott. Everybody with an interest in Korean Studies is welcome to attend, and to bring up any concerns or questions regarding the place of Korean Studies at the AAS.
Please also note the following related events:
– CKS-sponsored panel: roundtable on Teaching Premodern Korea (session 152, Friday 28 March, 3:15-5:15 PM, Grand Ballroom Salon 8)
– NEAC-sponsored panel: Community, Governance, and the Everyday: Cultural Politics of Affect in Modern Korea (session 87, Friday 28 March, 10:45 AM -12:45 PM, room 404)
Following a ballot via Survey Monkey on which well over 100 people voted – thanks! – Don Baker (UBC) and Wayne Patterson (St Norbert’s College) were elected as the new CKS board members for 2013-2015. They replace Sonja Kim and Todd Henry whose term ended as of the San Diego AAS meeting. Welcome on board, Don and Wayne – and thanks for your hard work Sonja and Todd!
This is a summary of what was discussed at the General Meeting of the Committee on Korean Studies at the San Diego AAS meeting on March 29, 2013. The meeting was chaired by Todd Henry; the minutes were prepared by Youngju Ryu,
I. Welcoming remarks
II. Introduction of the Executive Board
– Outgoing members: Todd Henry (UC San Diego; current chair), Sonja Kim (SUNY Binghampton)
– Continuing members: Kelly Jeong (UC Riverside; new chair), SemVermeersch (Seoul National University)
– Incoming members: George Kallander (Syracuse University), Youngju Ryu (University of Michigan), Koen de Ceuster (Leiden University) Continue reading
The general meeting of the CKS – open to all! – will take place in room Emma A (in the conference venue, Manchester Grand Hyatt) from 9:30 PM onwards on Friday 22 March. Be there! Besides introducing the new CKS committee members, the following items will be on the agenda:
- report by the chair on CKS activities over the past year
- the role of CKS at the AAS and beyond
- useful and necessary updates/improvements to the website
- CKS operation: elections, division of role, how you can help,…
- any other item you feel is relevant!
This January the elections for new board members were conducted; a big thank you to all who voted (100+)!
We would like to welcome Koen De Ceuster (Leiden), George Kallander (Syracuse), and Youngju Ryu (Michigan). After AAS 2013, they will replace Todd Henry and Sonja Kim.